A defining feature of unlawful discrimination is that adverse treatment or adverse effects must be based upon a particular protected attribute, the most prominent of which include age, disability, gender and race.
- Alysia Blackham, ‘A Compromised Balance? A Comparative Examination of Exceptions to Age Discrimination Law in Australia and the UK’ (2018) 41(3) Melbourne University Law Review 1085.
- Alysia Blackham, 'Defining "Discrimination" in UK and Australian Age Discrimination Law' (2018) 43(3) Monash University Law Review 760.
- Alysia Blackham, ‘Why Mandatory Retirement Ages Should be a Thing of the Past’, The Conversation (online at 9 April 2018).
- Therese MacDermott, 'Giving a voice to age discrimination complainants in federal proceedings' (2017) 19(2) Flinders Law Journal 233.
- Eileen Webb and Liam Elphick, 'Yesterday Once More: Discrimination and LGBTI+ Seniors' (2017) 43(2) Monash University Law Review 530.
- Therese MacDermott, 'Older workers and requests for flexibility: a weak right in the face of entrenched age discrimination' (2016) 44(3) Federal Law Review 451.
- Therese MacDermott, 'Affirming age: making federal anti-discrimination regulation work for older Australians' (2013) 26(2) Australian Journal of Labour Law 141.
- Therese MacDermott, 'Challenging age discrimination in Australian workplaces: from anti-discrimination legislation to industrial regulation' (2011) 34(1) UNSW Law Journal 182.
- Margaret Thornton and Trish Luker, ‘Age Discrimination in Turbulent Times’ (2010) 19(2) Griffith Law Review 141.
- Margaret Thornton, ‘Work/Life or Work/Work? Corporate Legal Practice in the Twenty-first Century’ (2016) 23(1) International Journal of the Legal Profession 13.
- Margaret Thornton, ‘The Flexible Cyborg: Work/Life Balance in the Legal Profession’ (2016) 38(1) Sydney Law Review 1.
- Belinda Smith, 'How might information bolster anti-discrimination laws to promote more family-friendly workplaces?' (2014) 56(4) Journal of Industrial Relations 547.
- Anna Chapman, 'Reasonable Accommodation, Adverse Action and the Case of Deborah Schou' (2012) 33(1) Adelaide Law Review 39.
- Belinda Smith and Joellen Riley, 'Family-friendly work practices and the law' (2004) 26(3) Sydney Law Review 395.
- Alice Taylor, 'Disability discrimination, the duty to make adjustments and the problem of persistent misreading' (2019) 45(2) Monash University Law Review 461
- Elizabeth Dickson, 'Supporting students with communication impairment in Australian schools: Administering the obligation to make reasonable adjustment' (2019) 43(1) Australasian Journal of Special and Inclusive Education 41.
- Paul Harpur, 'My Animal, my support, and my new home in a retirement village: disability discrimination, assistance animals and old age' (2018) 11 Elder Law Review.
- Paul Harpur, Discrimination, Copyright and Equality: Opening The E-Book for the Print Disabled (Cambridge University Press, 2017).
- Karen O'Connell, 'Should We Take the "Disability" Out of Discrimination Laws? Students with Challenging Behaviour and the Definition of Disability' (2017) 35(2) Law in Context 108.
- Karen O'Connell, 'Unequal Brains: Disability Discrimination Law and Children with Challenging Behaviour' (2016) 24(1) Medical Law Review 76.
- Karen O'Connell, 'What are your rights if your child with a disability is denied a school place?', The Conversation (online at 29 January 2016).
- Paul Harpur, 'Rights of persons with disabilities and Australian anti-discrimination laws: What happened to the legal protections for people using guide or assistance dogs?' (2010) 29(1) University of Tasmania Law Review 49.
- Paul Harpur, 'Ensuring equality in education: how Australian laws are leaving students with print disabilities behind' (2010) 3(1) Media and Arts Law Review 46.
- Margaret Thornton, ‘Disabling Discrimination Legislation: The High Court and Judicial Activism’ (2009) 15(1) Australian Journal of Human Rights 1.
- Karen O'Connell, 'The Clean and Proper Body: Genetics, Stigma and Disability Discrimination Law' (2009) 14(2) Australian Journal of Human Rights 139.
- Colin Campbell, 'A Hard Case Making Bad Law: Purvis v New South Wales and the role of the Comparator Under the Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth)' (2007) 35(1) Federal Law Review 111.
- Elizabeth Dickson, 'Disability Standards for Education and Reasonable Adjustment in the Tertiary Education Sector' (2007) 12(2) Australia and New Zealand Journal of Law & Education 25.
- J Joy Cumming and Elizabeth Dickson, 'Equity in assessment: discrimination and disability issues from an Australian legal perspective' (2007) 19(3-4) Education and the Law 201.
- Margaret Thornton, ‘Neo-Liberalism, Discrimination and the Politics of Ressentiment’ (2000) 17(2) Law in Context 8.
- Margaret Thornton, ‘Domesticating Disability Discrimination’ (1997) 2 International Journal of Discrimination and the Law 183.
- Beth Goldblatt and Linda Steele, 'Bloody unfair: Inequality related to menstruation – considering the role of discrimination law' (2019) 41(3) Sydney Law Review 293.
- Belinda Smith and Monica Hayes, 'Using data to drive gender equality in employment: more power to the people?' (2015) 28(3) Australian Journal of Labour Law 191.
- Cristy Clark, 'Does the Human Right to Water Address the Gendered Nature of Water Poverty?' (2015) 24 Human Rights Defender 31.
- Sandra Fredman and Beth Goldblatt, 'Gender Equality and Human Rights' (Discussion Paper, UN Women, 2015).
- Margaret Thornton, 'The Political Contingency of Sex Discrimination Legislation: The Case of Australia’ (2015) 4 Laws 314.
- Margaret Thornton and Ann Genovese, 'On The Liberal Promise: A Conversation’ (2015) 41(1) Australian Feminist Law Journal 3.
- Margaret Thornton, ‘Neoliberal Governmentality and the Retreat from Gender Equality’ in Ashleigh Barnes (ed), Feminisms of Discontent: Global Contestations (Oxford University Press, 2015) 71.
- Margaret Thornton (ed), Sex Discrimination in Uncertain Times (ANU Press, 2010).
- Margaret Thornton and Trish Luker, ‘The Sex Discrimination Act and its Rocky Rite of Passage’ in Margaret Thornton (ed), Sex Discrimination in Uncertain Times (ANU Press, 2010) 25.
- Margaret Thornton, 'Women's Rights as Human Rights' in Margaret Thornton (ed), Sex Discrimination in Uncertain Times (ANU Press, 2010) 319.
- Margaret Thornton, 'Women and Discrimination Law’ in Patricia Easteal (ed), Women and the Law in Australia (LexisNexis Butterworths, 2010) 131.
- Margaret Thornton, 'Feminism and the Changing State: The Case of Sex Discrimination’ (2006) 21(50) Australian Feminist Studies 151.
- Margaret Thornton, ‘EEO in a Neo-Liberal Climate’ (2001) 6(1) Journal of Interdisciplinary Gender Studies 77.
- Margaret Thornton, ‘The Indirection of Sex Discrimination’ (1992) 12 University of Tasmania Law Review 88.
- Margaret Thornton, ‘The Public/Private Dichotomy: Gendered and Discriminatory’ (1991) 18 Journal of Law and Society 448.
- Liam Elphick, ‘Marriage equality was momentous, but there is much still to do to progress LGBTI+ rights in Australia’, The Conversation (online at 6 March 2019).
- Sarah Moulds, 'The Right to Turn Away Gay Students? Exceptions to Unlawful Discrimination for Religious Schools in Australia' (2019) 41(1) Law Society of South Australia Bulletin 12.
- Liam Elphick, Amy Maguire and Anja Hilkemeijer, 'Ruddock report constrains, not expands, religious exemptions', The Conversation (online at 10 October 2018).
- Liam Elphick and Luke Beck, ‘America’s “gay wedding cake” case and what it means for Australia’, ABC News (online at 10 June 2018).
- Liam Elphick, 'The "gay wedding cake" dilemma: when religious freedom and LGBTI rights intersect', The Conversation (online at 27 March 2018).
- Liam Elphick, 'Do same-sex couples really have the same rights as married couples?', SBS News (online at 14 September 2017).
- Liam Elphick, ‘Sexual Orientation and "Gay Wedding Cake" Cases Under Australian Anti-Discrimination Legislation: A Fuller Approach to Religious Exemptions’ (2017) 38(1) Adelaide Law Review 149.
- Cristy Clark, 'With that ring, I thee judge: why the law should not allow exceptions on marriage equality', The Conversation (online at 6 October 2016).
- Cristy Clark, 'Anti-discrimination law exemptions don’t strike the right balance between rights and freedoms', The Conversation (online at 30 June 2016).
- Sarah Moulds and John Williams, 'Discrimination on the grounds of sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and intersex status in South Australian legislation' (Report, South Australian Law Reform Institute, 2015).
- Margaret Thornton and Trish Luker, ‘The New Racism in Employment Discrimination: Tales from the Global Economy’ (2010) 32(1) Sydney Law Review 1.
- Margaret Thornton and Trish Luker, ‘The Wages of Sin: Compensation for Indigenous Workers’ (2009) 32(3) UNSW Law Journal 647.
- Beth Gaze, 'Has the Racial Discrimination Act Contributed to Eliminating Racial Discrimination? Analyzing the Litigation Track Record 2000-04' (2004) 11(1) Australian Journal of Human Rights 171.
- Liam Elphick and Alice Taylor, ‘Religious Discrimination Bill is a mess that risks privileging people of faith above all others’, The Conversation (online at 30 August 2019).
- Liam Elphick, Amy Maguire and Anja Hilkemeijer, ‘The government has released its draft religious discrimination bill. How will it work?’, The Conversation (online at 29 August 2019).
- Margaret Thornton, ‘Christianity “Privileged” in Laws Protecting Fairness’, Viewpoint: Perspectives on Public Policy, Issue 5 (February 2011) 41.
- Margaret Thornton and Trish Luker, ‘The Spectral Ground: Religious Belief Discrimination’ (2009) 9 Macquarie Law Journal 71.